Thursday, December 8, 2016

Child like freedom

FINALLY I AM MOSTLY UNSTUCK !!!!!!

My artist block apparently just needed me to take a break from the world, and to stop overthinking everything.

In this next idea I am going to combine 2 of the ideas from the beginning of the year. I am going to combine freedom and child like playfulness. A horse to me signifies freedom. A wild mustang is free to roam as they please, hair flying in the wind, with the ability to do things at their own free will. I am combining this with the "playing" I was doing with the handprints and fingers, giving it a touch of the childlike playfulness. I am going to do the horse in black.... paint or ink or something, haven't quite decided yet... But it will be a line drawing, but a loose "free" line drawing, like in a way that almost shows movement. I thought I might want to try making the lines with my hands but after some thought I realized how impractical that would be for an idea that hasn't left my sketch book, so i am going to do the finger drawings first and than if I either hate it or decide i want to go a different way, I will try the drawing with my hands. While figuring things out in my sketchbook I stumbled upon the fact that I am slightly out of practice at drawing horses. While most of my artistic life has been spent drawing horses, in fact, a horse was the first form I learned to draw,  since I came to Tabor I have entirely stopped doing this, so I have been practicing refamiliarizing myself with the form. I have also been spending my time decideing what to use for the paper or canvas, at this moment i am thinking that black paint on canvas may be the way to go, but not a stretched canvas, just a piece. I am going to make this idea a set of either 2 or 3 and one will be a vertical headshot of the horse and the other will be a horizontal full body of a horse cantering. Both horses will have rugged, worn and flowing manes, giving them the "free" untamed look I am trying to convey.

No comments:

Post a Comment